NutritionFacts.org arises from my annual review of the medical literature. With the help of a team of hundreds of volunteers, we churned through tens of thousands of papers published in the peer-reviewed scientific nutrition literature and are ramping up to break new records in 2021. How do I choose which studies to highlight? In general, I strive to focus on the most groundbreaking, interesting, and useful findings; but which topics resonate the most? The practical ones, offering cooking or shopping tips? Or those that dissect the studies behind the headlines? Maybe it’s the geeky science ones exploring the wonderfully weird world of human biology? As you can see from the below list, the answer seems to be a bit of all of the above.
This was the second in a three-video series on cookware. The first was Are Aluminum Pots, Bottles, and Foil Safe?.
What about pressure cooking? I covered that in Does Pressure Cooking Preserve Nutrients?.
Another really popular garlic video this year was the Benefits of Garlic Powder for Heart Disease.
- The Optimal Vitamin B12 Dosage for Adults
- Healthiest Food Sources of Vitamin B12
- The Optimal Vitamin B12 Dosage for Kids, Pregnancy, and Seniors
- The Best Type of Vitamin B12: Cyanocobalamin or Methylcobalamin?
This was the second in a 3-video series.The first one was also really popular—What the New Blood Pressure Range Guidelines Mean.
Another really popular 2020 video exploring the clinical effects of certain foods was How to Lower LP(a) with Diet.
I did a whole 14-part video series on the pandemic, based on my book How to Survive a Pandemic. The other three most popular of the set were:
- How to Prevent the Next Pandemic
- COVID-19 Symptoms vs. the Flu, a Cold or Allergies
- How to Avoid COVID-19
This live presentation was based on my book How Not to Diet. If you want to watch the presentation I did for my last book, check out How Not to Die: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers. The other two most popular weight loss videos this year were The Best Diet for Weight Loss and Disease Prevention and Cut the Calorie-Rich-and-Processed-Foods.
Michael Greger, M.D.
PS: If you haven’t yet, you can subscribe to my free videos here and watch my live, year-in-review presentations:
- 2019: Evidence-Based Weight Loss
- 2016: How Not To Die: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers
- 2015: Food as Medicine: Preventing and Treating the Most Dreaded Diseases with Diet
- 2014: From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases with Food
- 2013: More Than an Apple a Day
- 2012: Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death